Hands in the air if your growing your hair, Wave em around like you just don't care!
So, it's the new year, everyone is full of turkey and prosecco. Most people are praying for payday to come quicker and you might just be thinking of postponing your hair cut...STOP!!!!!!!
Number 1 Top Tip For Growing Your Hair Is........
1) Trim your hair regularly! By regularly we mean 6-8 weeks. If you don't cut your hair when your growing it, your hair will split and fray up the hair shaft meaning you will need more cut off on your next visit. So, don't miss the appointment because your growing it or skint, get a stylist you trust and ask them to 'kiss' the ends with their scissors just to seal the ends and stop it from traveling up your head!
2) Chop the dead irreparable hair off! So, before you can start to grow your hair down, you must be honest with yourself and get what the hairdresser suggests cut off. If you don't your hair will split and snap off before it grows. Depending on your bravery and how nice your stylist is & how damaged your hair is of course... This can be done in one big chop or a little each visit to keep your hair in a nice style or not to traumatise you, we will just take off what has grown each visit until we reach the full, healthy hair that is worth growing!
3) Feed your hair!!!!!! Nothing in nature grow's unless you feed and nurture it. All hair needs feeding and by feeding we mean treating. "Oh, but I don't colour my hair" I hear you say, even uncoloured hair needs a mask to keep it healthy. Every day our hair is assaulted by the elements, wind, rain, cold, free radicals and the sun’s UV, not to mention, the blow drying, curling, straightening and that's before we even talk about chemical abuse! Hair needs moisture for dryness and protein for strength, some hair need a blend of the two. Any good stylist who truly cares about you and your hair, should tell you about which is right for you. Stylists can tell by touching and viewing your hair what masks to prescribe for you. Don't be tempted to use a one size fits all from the supermarket if you want to see results, if they we're any good, we would use them! (think about it)
4) Let's talk about heat, nearly every time I ask a client if they use heat protection they say yes. So why is your hair burnt to hell?? If you have it, use it! If you’re not using it ask yourself why? It's usually because it’s too sticky, or you can feel it in the hair. If that's the case, try one recommended by your stylist. I always test them by spraying on to the back of your hand. If it rubs in and you can't feel it, it should be fine, if it goes sticky or greasy then I’d leave well alone. Our fave’s are, Hot off the press by Paul Mitchell, Moroccanoil's Heat styling protection and kitoko Arte heat defy spray. A good professional heat defy product should last you well over a year and well worth the investment. Spray your hair every time you use heat on it, not just when your styling your freshly washed hair. Remember most irons heat to 220 degrees and the average shoulder length strand of hair is 2-3 years old, imagine how many times that strand has been burnt alive.... Get spraying!
5) Finally, Diet. It is so important to insure you get the best variety of vitamins and minerals in your diet or your hair won't stand a chance. When the body is lacking, the first non-vital things it starts to neglect is the hair and nails. Thin, slow growing hair can be because of a poor or restricted diet. Whenever I see a client for the first time I analyse the hair and scalp to see if there are signs of dietary, medical or hormonal restriction. Now, I’m obviously no doctor, but I have looked at thousands of scalps in my time and I can spot someone with an iron deficiency from a mile off. So, I would always start off by advising a blood test to anyone who has slow growing or fine hair, even if it's been like it for years. Diet, Thyroid, Menopause, Postnatal hormones etc can wreak havoc with your hair so ask for a full blood screen with your GP as there isn't much we can do if you need a little help on the inside.
If you’d like more personal advice, pop in and see us and take advantage of our FREE hair MOT or FREE HAIR CLINIC, Throughout January 18 with Chloe.