There's nothing quite like a red weather warning to get you hunting the internet for a bit of sunshine! Hands up if storm Emma made you do it 😯🙌 So, now your holiday or holidays are booked and etched on the calendar, have you thought about your hair? Summer can be very stressful for your hair; all that heat and salt water can really dry it out. Try our tips below to get you holiday ready.
1) schedule your appointment with your holiday in mind, speak with your stylist about your upcoming trips in good time and what type of holiday it will be. If your relaxing and taking it easy, it could be a great opportunity to up your hair treatment regime and spend most of the holiday with your hair in a bun by the pool, repairing your hair whilst sipping a cocktail and reading a book. If so, schedule your colour for your return. Hair fades fast in the sun, so bear that in mind when booking your colour appointment. If you are spending your trip networking, socialising and dressing up then have your colour done in the days leading up to your trip so you look your absolute best all holiday! If like me you're the lie by the pool with your hair in a bun type, but you can't bear to look at roots from the start of the week. Aim to travel on week 4 of your 6 weeks cycle but be warned you will have a week when you return with faded hair and roots 😱So if you can't cope with that, bring your colour appointment forward a week or simply book for 2 weeks instead, yay!
2) Protect your hair! Invest in an anti fade, colour protection shampoo and conditioner. Some lines do a dedicated sun range for your travels, that includes a spray to protect your hair too. Speak with your stylist to find out which one is best. Use this while you are away and for 1 -2 weeks after you come back. Often you will find they are heavier than your usual home care, this is to keep your hair extra hydrated as the sun will strip what it can from your hair... Just think of that sun-bleached piece of driftwood on the beach... yep, that’s what sun does to your hair!
3) Take a hair mask! This is your golden opportunity to get some hair care brownie points and give your hair some TLC. Shampoo your hair before going to the pool or beach and towel dry your hair before applying Moroccanoil Hydration mask to your locks. Tie it up high in an invisibobble and let it work its magic while you snooze.... When you return to your room to change for dinner, shampoo your mask out and condition. We recommend shampooing it out to remove sweat, SPF or chlorine from to pool. If you’re the glamour puss who looks immaculate all day by the pool, without a hair out of place, (how do they do that?) Treat your hair intensively in the month leading up to your holiday, 2 masks per week and try to work a hat or headscarf into as many outfit combos as possible! You could even rock a Kim Kardashian Braided doo by the pool while your mask does its thang…
Do make sure you use a colour protecting stray all over to protect you hair and your parting, there is nothing worse than a burnt, flaky scalp! Paul Mitchell's colour locking spray comes in a handy mini 100ml which is great for hand luggage, although we are sure you don't travel light!! The colour locking spray had both UVA and UVB and is very useful for getting to all the bits you can't get with cream. Mist it all over your hair, parting and hairline for extra protection, don't forget behind the ears!
4) Tip 4, Is a bit of a curve ball. With the sun in mind and its incredible power to suck the colour out of your hair, like a dementor from Harry Potter. Pre-holiday is actually a great time to try a darker shade you’re not sure about... Now obviously if you colour it black, there's no shifting it, but if you are a lighter colour wanting to try a warmer or slightly darker toner it's a fab time to try it. If you hate it, sit in the sun and it will probably be gone by the time you get back, love it, then you can try it confidently on your return.
5) Start thinking about beauty prep!