Being colour specialists, our clients often invest spend a lot on their hair colour, so why not look after it?
There are several things you can do to keep your colour looking good for longer and it can save you money in the long run too. Less fade means less maintenance and less cost each visit.
The first thing, above all else is to choose what you wash your hair with carefully. I know there are loads of products promising miracles but as an independent salon, we stock what we believe works. Many salons can only stock 1 or 2 lines due to deals with suppliers, we on the other hand can stock whatever we like and whatever we have tried, tested and believe to be the best.
1) The colour application itself, do not overlap colour. Once your hair is lifted you should reduce the strength of colour to refresh / re-tone your ends. All good stylists will do this, but if you colour your hair at home this can be tricky. You will need to buy 2 solutions, one for your roots and one for your ends to avoid the two tone look and over processing those ends. Damaged ends will not hold on to the colour pigments and will fade super quick!
2) Use a colour safe shampoo and conditioner that is gentle on your hair, I like to use one with a UV filter which can reduce fade from the sun too.
3) Use a mask (treatment) once a week. Invest in a good one, this is the only way to repair your hair and many of the supermarket ones will just coat your hair with plastic to make it look better but not actually fix the problem. Over time the plastic will build up and make your hair harder to style and appear greasy!
4) Protect your hair from the sun, like skin hair can get damaged by the sun. Not only will it dry it out it can strip colour out like you wouldn't believe! Wear a hat on holiday and use products with UV filters.
5) If you have a blonde or red that needs a little help to keep fresh, even when you do all of that, ask your stylist to recommend a colour conditioner that works with your colour and is safe for you to top up at home without compromising your in-salon result.
If you've got a hair problem or a colour that fades too fast get in touch!